Cliffe Football Club vs. Market Weighton Reserves (A) 17th Nov 07

HT: 1-1
FT: 2-1 W

Cliffe FC travelled to face Market Weighton in the second round of the Harold Robinson cup, having last week won a second round tie and on the back of six straight wins.
Malcolm Bryce writes…

The game began slowly with niether team settling into the game, Cliffe FC did however look the better side and eventually they settled into the game. Cliffe FC nearly took the lead with a great effort from outside the box by Dave Heron but was kept out by the host’s ‘keeper, who tipped the shot onto the post with the ball bouncing back out. Cliffe FC deservedly took the lead when Andy Kirkham nicely guided the ball into the net with a hammered shot inside a crowded area. 1-nil Cliffe FC. After taking a one-nil lead Cliffe FC allowed the home team back into the game and Market Weighton were level after a combination of bad communication and casualness lead to Cliffe FC player, Dave Evans, to put through his own net for 1-all. The teams were level at half-time at 1-1.

Cliffe FC manager, Keith Tiplady, was not happy with his team’s performance and their casualness in their own half and lack of disipline on throw-ins and he let his team know and sent them back out for the second half. Market Weighton now began to be the side more likely to win and began to put pressure on Cliffe FC without actually having any clear chances. Cliffe FC still were performing in a lack-lustre fashion and were very much on the back foot. In what is the strangest goal Cliffe FC have been involved in Cliffe FC went 2-1 ahead from a Kev Taylor goal when a less than quality cross from Scott Birch was met by Kev Taylor who bravely went in on a challenge with the ‘keeper but when the ‘keeper half-heartedly tried to win the ball, Taylor managed a very weak header from 6 yards out and the ball even had time to bounce before it crossed the line for 2-1 Cliffe FC. Apart from the goal Cliffe FC had very little opportunity to add to their tally in the second half and had to defend their lead. The hosts pushed for an equaliser and the ball had to be cleared off the line three times by Taylor, Rob Wood on the post and, Cliffe FC ‘keeper, Ally Harris. Harris also made a vital punch from a corner and Cliffe FC saw out the last minutes to win the game and go through to the next round of this cup also.

Many Thanks goes to Cliffe FC sponsors The Bread Bin and Pure-Silk.

With this seventh straight win Cliffe FC go into the quarter finals of the Harold Robinson cup. Cliffe FC next week are back in league competition away from home at Gilberdyke Reserves.

Cliffe Team:
A. Harris, R.Wood, D. Evans, A. Moughan, M. Birch, D. Heron, A. Kirkham, S. Birch, J. Rodrigues (Hogg), K. Taylor (Hullah), R. Eriksen (Horner).

Cliffe Scorers:
A. Kirkham, K. Taylor.

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.