Cliffe FC vs. Hemingbrough United (H) 22nd May 2009

This article contains a photo slide-show that will not display in a feed reader. click here for full article

HT: 0-1
FT: 1-1 D
Archie McCartney Trophyshared

click here for full photo slide-show

Archie McCartney was involved with the Cliffe Playing Fields committee and the building of the Cliffe pavilion. He died in the late 1980s and was a supporter of both Hemingbrough Saturday side and the then, Cliffe Sunday side and Friday evening saw the reviving of the trophy tie after a gap of several years.

With confusion and controversy surrounding the finish to this competitive game, the Archie McCartney trophy was shared between Cliffe FC and Hemingbrough Utd after a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.
Malcolm Bryce writes…

Cliffe FC vs Hemingbrough Utd 22May09

This match pitted league champions against each other with Hemingbrough newly crowned York League Division 2 champions and Cliffe FC crowned East Riding County League Division 3 champions last Saturday.
On paper this game looked like a great tie, and it did not disappoint, as both teams competed well through-out. Most of the early clear-cut chances fell to Hemingbrough and were duly wasted. Cliffe had a few half-chances coming from set-pieces. With no punches pulled on the tackle front, many big challenges were thrown about from both teams with Cliffe’s Ian Beckram on the wrong end of many as he’s had to deal with through-out his Cliffe FC stint. It would be one of these challenges that would lead to the opening goal, as Andy Moughan was adjudged to have fouled the quick ‘Boro forward in the area and the linesman awarded the penalty which was converted to put Boro into the lead that remained until half-time.

Cliffe continued to compete and Scott Birch and Andy Moughan neutralised any Boro threat with fullbacks Luke Crowther and Kev Simpson afforded the space to go forward. Kev Taylor continued to burst forward down the right-wing and the centre-midfielder Andy Addison battled hard. The home side began to apply more pressure and it paid off when Addison smashed the ball into the net to level things with plenty of time for the match to be decided. Momentum was with Cliffe as they came forward, but Boro were always a threat with their very quick counter attacks. As time ticked on chances came and went for both teams with Luke Crowther coming close from a freekick, as did Boro. Tom Hogg had a great chance to decide thing late on but put the ball wide of the mark. The whistle blew for 90 minutes but was not the end of the action.

Confusion broke out as both teams were unable to agree on how to decide the game. Originally the game was organised as to be decided by penalty shoot-out if the score was level @ 90 minutes. With players from both sides wanting a penalty shoot-out and players and officials from Hemingbrough wanting to call it a draw, claiming that they knew not of the penalty shoot-out eventuality plan, a draw was decided and the Trophy was shared.

Archie’s widow, Joan, had agreed to present the trophy prior and together with a nice speech saying “She really enjoyed the game” and “Archie would of enjoyed it too” she presented both captains with the trophy.

Cliffe FC vs Hemingbrough Utd 22May09

Above, Joan McCartney with Cliffe FC captain, Scott Birch and Hemingbrough captain, Matthew Zacharenko.

Cliffe Team
G. Wilson (Clundell), K. Simpson, L. Crowther, S. Birch (C), A. Moughan, A. Addison, I. Beckram, K. Taylor (A. Kirkham), S. Cawkill (C. Allen), B. Rawson (D. Evans), T. Hogg
Unused Sub: A. Lees

Cliffe Scorer:
A. Addison

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.