Cliffe FC vs. Skirlaugh (A) 28th April 2009

This article contains a photo slide-show that will not display in a feed reader. click here for full article

HT: 2-1
FT: 4-1 W

click here for full photo slide-show

On a horrible, wet and dark Tuesday evening, Cliffe FC travelled to face Skirlaugh. With a hard fought 4-1 win which featured a penalty for either side and three Cliffe injuries, the 3-points see Cliffe FC return to the top of the East Riding County League Division 3 table.

Malcolm Bryce writes…

Cliffe FC vs Skirlaugh 28Apr09

The game’s first 20 minutes saw both teams stretched and combined with Skirlaugh’s tiny pitch the match was very end-to-end but it would be the title-chasers that would take the lead when Cliffe were awarded a penalty for hand-ball. David Evans stepped up and smashed the ball home for his first Cliffe goal of the season. Skirlaugh had the chance to go level, also from the spot, when Andy Moughan was adjudged to have tripped the forward. Cliffe ‘keeper, Clundell, made a great save to his right, only for the home forward to get to the rebound first to draw Skirlaugh level at 1-1. Things for Cliffe could of gone very bad, and in terms of injuries did, when winger Dave Heron dislocated his shoulder and Andy Moughan damaged his groin. Ben Rawson managed to hit the post and score an offside goal before the away side did go 2-1 ahead before half-time when Aaron Tiplady scored inside the area.

Second-half saw Cliffe being told by manager, Keith Tiplady, “to be men” and come away with the three points to place Cliffe FC back top of the table and his side did indeed respond with Cliffe going 3-1 ahead when Rawson got his deserved goal. Andy Addison, in the middle of the park, ran the midfield from box-to-box and the Skirlaugh players couldn’t deal with him. Another Cliffe injury was suffered when Aaron Tiplady’s hamstring injury that has plagued him returned and he too had to leave the field of play. Wingers Kev Taylor and Tom Hogg had the Skirlaugh full-backs pegged back and Hogg would set up Cliffe’s forth when he squared the ball for Rawson to bag his second. Andy Kirkham was unlucky not to put Cliffe’s fifth goal in and the final-score was confirmed as 4-1.

This was a great, hard-fought, win for Cliffe FC and sees them return to the top of the Division Three table after Hedon Rangers and Total Signs dropped points at the weekend. With the obvious injury worries from the game which see both winger, Dave Heron and forward, Aaron Tiplady ruled out for the rest of the season combined with, centre-half Andy Moughan coming off early with a groin injury, Thursday’s Cup Semi-Final against Hedon United contains many selection worries for Keith Tiplady.

Cliffe FC play Hedon United in the League Junior Cup Semi-Final on Thursday evening @ Hill Top Social Club, Willerby (6.30pm Kick-off)

Cliffe Team:
Clundell, Hawksworth, Evans, Birch (C), Moughan (Buck), Addison, Taylor, Heron (Kirkham), Hogg, Rawson, A. Tiplady (B. Summers)

Cliffe Scorers:
B. Rawson (2), A. Tiplady, D. Evans (pen)

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.