Cliffe FC vs. Wheldrake (N) 30th August 2010

This article contains a photo slide-show that will not display in a feed reader. click here for full article

HT: 0-1
FT: 3-1 W

click here for full photo slide-show of photos

A tale of two halves saw Cliffe FC play an awful first half but manage to turn around a 1-0 deficit to win the LIVE4SOCCER Selby Cup Plate Final to earn some pre-season silverware
Hugo Delgado writes…

Cliffe FC 3 - 1 Wheldrake (Selby Cup Plate Final) 30Aug10

A forgettable first half for Cliffe FC saw Wheldrake attack well using route-one long-ball tactics leading to Cliffe’s Kev Simpson giving away a penalty that hit the bar and at 0-0 Cliffe hit the post before Wheldrake took the lead with a header before the break.

The second half was a different story with Cliffe dominating, first by equalising from a Luke Crowther shot that went in the the roof of the net before Ben Rawson bundled a goal in to make it 2-1 and, as Cliffe ‘keeper Ally Harris was a virtual spectator this half, things were sealed for Cliffe FC when Christopher Jackson smashed the ball past the Wheldrake ‘keeper the see the Selby Cup consolation prize go to Cliffe FC.

A nice victory for Cliffe to lift the secondary prize in this pre-season competition, beating a team they will be playing in League fixtures this coming season. The match was definitely a game of two halves and if Cliffe perform like they did against Bubwith in the Semi-Final and the second half of the Final then things look good on the silverware front for the coming 2010/2011 season.

Special thanks have to go to all the teams that competed, LIVE4SOCCER for thieir sponsorship and Thorpe United for hosting the Selby Cup finals.

Cliffe Team:
Harris, Simpson, Atton, Wilcockson (Leach), Sh Smith, Bugg, Crowther, Taylor (Addison), Kirkham, Rawson (Jackson), Hogg

Cliffe Scorers:
Crowther, Rawson, Jackson

LIVE4SOCCER Selby Cup Final
Thorpe United 2 – 5 Selby Olympia (AET)

The “Wileman show” saw the LIVE4SOCCER Selby Cup go to Selby Olympia with an extra-time win over Thorpe United as Eddie and Johnathan Wileman score 4 of Olympia’s 5 goals in the final. Thorpe took the lead before Olympia came back to make it 2-1 and with a late goal from Thorpe’s Ben Yorke, the game went into extra-time. The additional 30 minutes proved too far for the Thorpe side as Olympia went on to score three more goals with Jonathan Wileman and his brother Eddie getting their second goals of the game in the extra-time period.

Keep tuned into Cliffe FC (dot) com for all the latest Cliffe Football Club news

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.