Cliffe FC 2ndXI vs. Thorpe United Reserves (A) 1st October 2011

York Minster Engineering Football League – Reserve ‘C’ Section
HT: 0-0
FT: Thorpe United 0 -0 Cliffe FC
(Thorpe Social Club. Att: 27)

It was a case of honours even in the Summers’ household this weekend as Nathan’s Cliffe and Byron’s Thorpe cancelled each other out into a stalemate with the match referee also, a certain Mr.Summers snr.
Steve Wilcockson writes…

The match had been billed as a fierce local derby with various social networking sites showing postings during the week of how each team intended to claim bragging rights. Rumours even surfaced of a game plan to try aggravating Horner into receiving a red card…..surely such things would never happen.
In reality all it petered out into was some sibling rivalry that ended with some “brotherly love” as the points were shared.
The game was played in the not ideal conditions of baking heat more akin to what would be seen on Revista de la Liga rather than an October afternoon in Yorkshire, and this most certainly impacted on both sides levels of performance in the match.
It would be foolish to say that either side began the stronger as throughout the match, neither side, at any point took control. However, suffice to say, the home side probably edged the opening 45, despite neither side testing either keeper.
Harris was called upon to clear some through balls in his only action of the half, whilst his opposite number’s similarly low work first half culminated in claiming a couple of crosses.
The game was ostensibly played in the middle third, one side attacking, being stopped by the opposition defence, who then attacked and were stopped by their counterparts – with the circle beginning again.
The midfield of Lonsdale, Collins, Horner and Lees tried to get into the game, but, try as they might, the scruff of the neck, evaded them.
Indeed from a Cliffe point of view the only two episodes of note were captain Lees, in his opinion, concussing himself in a clash of heads, and Horner making his standard “big tackle” and being warned.
HT 0-0
The second half offered slightly more as the game maybe opened up a little.
A defensive mix up allowed Elwood a free run on goal, but the striker, almost appearing embarrassed to be there, took too long with his shot which was eventually tamely struck and blocked. The rebound fell to Pool who could only fire wide.
To try introduce some pace, Taylor was then brought on, with almost immediate impact. A through ball from Bennett giving him an opportunity to test the keeper, unfortunately the young winger’s shot was struck wide, with men awaiting the cut back.
Other chances included a tap past the onrushing keeper, again by Taylor, which agonisingly rolled wide and a very late chance for Hutton which was stopped by a combination of the keeper and various bodies.
Again, Harris was called upon to make a couple of saves, tipping a shot over the bar and diving at the feet of the Thorpe striker when he tried too much in the box.
Alas, clearly neither side were destined to get anything from this game and a share of the points is probably the fair result.
Nevertheless it leaves Cliffe with 4 points from a possible 6 which manager Wilson surely must have taken before the season started. With 2 clean sheets in these games, the side looks capable of dealing defensively with the best the league can throw at them, however a possible lack of goals may have to be addressed.

MOM: “Tat” Birch
Cliffe FC: Harris, Wilcockson, Bennett, Birch, Summers, Lees (Capt) (Taylor), Collins, Horner, Lonsdale (Gallagher), Pool (Hutton), Elwood.

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.