Cliffe FC vs. Stamford Bridge (H) 22nd September 2012

This article contains a photo slide-show that will not display in a feed reader. click here for full article

York Minster Engineering Football League – Division Two
HT: 1-2
FT: Cliffe FC 2 – 4 Stamford Bridge

click here for full slide-show!

Four Stamford Bridge goals, three forced Cliffe FC substitutions, two Lee Carter goals and one disappointing performance in a 4-2 defeat.
Malcolm Bryce writes…

“Following two poor games in which we got away with it, we finally got we deserved – Nothing. A poor and disappointing performance from a group of players capable of so much more. A cup game next week may come as a welcome distraction.”

~ Keith Tiplady, 23rd September 2012

Cliffe FC 2 - 4 Stamford Bridge 22Sept12

Stamford Bridge took the lead within the first 10 minutes when a speculative effort evaded Nick Brown in the Cliffe goal for 0-1, the less than ideal start was compounded when Nathan Parker had to leave the field before the half-hour after picking up a knock – Lee Carter replaced him. After some overplaying of the ball in Cliffe’s defence Bridge had a second on the 40th minute mark, 0-2, and again this was compounded with Billy Atton having to leave the field due to injury – Andy Kirkham replaced him. Substitute Carter, after having a penalty shout waved away, gave Cliffe a lifeline by hitting a bobbling daisy cutter of a shot into the bottom corner before half-time, 1-2 HT.

Cliffe FC 2 - 4 Stamford Bridge 22Sept12

Keith Tiplady, unhappy with his team’s performance, had his hand forced again when Ryan Sedman had to be replaced by Paul Tanton before the second half – again due to injury – and even ‘keeper Brown was struggling with a knock. No excuses though as Cliffe began the second half brightly and Carter got a second sight on goal, and hit a shot into the far bottom corner to make it 2-2. Bridge were under a bit of Cliffe pressure for a spell and Tanton was unlucky not to put Cliffe ahead before Bridge then re-took the lead when a counter long-ball was allowed the bounce leaving the Bridge forward to pounce and put his side back in front, 2-3. Cliffe with it all to do searched another equaliser but when a attacking Cliffe move rebounded off the referee, leading to a Bridge break to make the score 2-4, which was the final score.

A bad result for Cliffe FC who now site 4th in the Division Two table after three games, 3 points behind early leaders Strensall.
Next weekend sees both Cliffe FC sides host opposition at Oxen Lane in the York FA Junior Cup First Round –
1pm, Cliffe FC vs. Malton & Norton Reserves. || 3pm, Cliffe FC Reserves vs. York RI Reserves.

Cliffe FC Squad:
N. Brown, Atton (Kirkham), Sedman (Tanton), Durnin, S. Jackson, Bugg, Pears, Reasbeck, K. Taylor, Harkin (C), Parker (Carter)
Cliffe FC Goals: Lee Carter (2).
Cliffe FC MOTM: Wes Pears.

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.