Cliffe FC Sunday vs. Wentworth (H) 6th December 2015

Sunday 6th December 2015
York Sunday Morning League – Division Two
HT: 2-1
FT: Cliffe FC Sunday 4 – 2 Wentworth

Cliffe FC Sunday beat Wentworth 4-2 in a return to league competition, Dan Richardson opening scoring followed by a Nathan Parker hat-trick.
Malcolm Bryce writes…

With the weather claiming Cliffe FC’s solo Saturday fixture, the Reserves vs. Rufforth called off due to standing water – a further 24 hours allowed the Oxen Lane pitch to drain and be playable having survived a Sunday morning inspection.

Cliffe FC Sunday 4 - 2 Wentworth 6Dec15

Inevitably the heavens opened in the opening minutes of the game, a huge rain downpour soaking both sets of players and spectators – before said weather, Cliffe opened scoring early on – a darting Tom Collins run saw him clattered but a superb advantage was played with Dan Richardson first to pounce on a loose ball to prod it past the on-rushing ‘keeper, 1-0. Wentworth responded and found themselves level, a signal of Wentworth’s ethic that developed throughout the fixture, 1-1. Nathan Parker restored Cliffe’s lead, out-muscling two defenders before settling himself on the edge of the box and unleashing a shot past the ‘keeper for 2-1. Cliffe were required to make an early change, as Dom Welsh suffered a freak and nasty looking ankle injury – the score remained 2-1 at the break.

Cliffe FC Sunday 4 - 2 Wentworth 6Dec15

Cliffe remained on-top in the second half, but Wentworth weren’t going to roll over and die by no means and Cliffe needed another goal as the game suffered a lull, which seemed to mark the opportunity for the away side to get a goal – fortunately for Cliffe, they went 3-1 ahead – Aidy Wood drifting into the left side of the area to stand a cross up for Parker to peel away from his marker and powerfully head the ball past the ‘keeper – a nice assist and finish from the pair – 3-1. Wentworth set up a edgy finish to the game as they got a goal back to make it 3-2, ‘keeper Matt Clark left not wanting to make eye contact with pairing Matt Birch and Tom Hogg after conceding – but Clark would redeem himself in the final minutes. Parker taking a short corner with Tom Collins, but when Collins’ cross was cleared by Wentworth on the counter attack, Clark made a strong one-on-one save and proceeded to kick the ball up field for Parker to latch onto and then lob the ‘keeper for 4-2, complete his hat-trick, seal the win and all three points for Cliffe FC – as soon as it could’ve been 3-3 it finished 4-2, FT.

Cliffe FC Sunday 4 - 2 Wentworth 6Dec15

Cliffe FC senior sides are back in action next weekend, Saturday sees the First Team host York St John’s at Oxen Lane with Reserves travelling to Osbaldwick.

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.