Cliffe FC | Summary 20th, 23rd, 24th April 2016 | FIRST – RESERVES – SUNDAY

Five matches over the past week for Cliffe FC, Wednesday night the 1stXI suffered a narrow 3-2 defeat against Poppleton Utd, Saturday was a vital day with 1stXI confirming Division 1 status with a 3-0 win against Easingwold Town. The Reserves made it five league wins from five with a 3-2 triumph against Rufforth Utd, and Sunday saw another double-header – at York Medics, three points a piece for the teams, a 3-2 win and then 4-1 defeat.

Saturday 23rd April 2016
York Minster Engineering Football League – Division One
HT: 1-0
FT: Cliffe FC 3 – 0 Easingwold Town

Cliffe FC can begin to plan for next season in Division One with a confident 3-0 win against Easingwold Town, a result combined with a results elsewhere that means Cliffe cannot finish in the bottom two.

Cliffe FC 3 - 0 Easingwold Town 23Apr16

With no other ground available, Cliffe had to make the 45 minute trip to Easingwold giving up home advantage to Easingwold in a bottom of the table six pointer, Cliffe starting the day seven points above their opponents with both teams having four games remaining.
Cliffe seemingly were the team on top, Easingwold’s attacking pace their main threat, but with the score 0-0 either team could’ve gone ahead. Dave Laverack was in superb form in the Cliffe goal, and some brave work saw him recieve a blow to the back of the head. Cliffe eventually took the lead midway through the first half, Jamie England lofting the ball into the path of Nigel Horner who put the ball into the top corner to put Cliffe 1-0 ahead at the break.

Malcolm Bryce reminded his squad that the next goal was massive, and it was a special goal to put Cliffe further ahead – Andy Addison, breaking past his marker, then a set of onrushing defenders on the edge of the box to then stab/dink the ball past the ‘keeper and into the roof of the net to make it 2-0 and settle Cliffe’s nerves early in the second half. Addison again was involved in the third Cliffe goal, another mazing run into the Easingwold box to be eventually dragged down – penalty awarded – Jamie England stepped up and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, 3-0, and an apt scorer surname on St George’s Day.

Cliffe has top performers all over the field, Lewys Williams coupled with Matt Birch at centre-back dealt with everything thrown at them with Jackson Lucitt and Alex Hartley at fullbacks, and anything that slipped through was handled by Laverack in superb form. Chris Thompson was a perfect foil for the aforementioned Addison in centre-mid. Jackson Lucitt stuck to the game plan once more, like Wednesday, and even drew another robust tackle from his opponent to win a freekick – an indication of Cliffe being on top and frustrating their opponents. The final whistle eventually arrived and the game finished 3-0, what a time for Cliffe FC to keep their first clean sheet since 19th September 2015.

This win confirming Cliffe FC will finish at least 9th (out of 11) place in YMEL Division One, Saturday’s win moving them up to 8th place – and a win in each of their remaining three league games could see them into 6th place. Cliffe also can look forward to League Cup semi-final against Riccall in May.

Remaining fixtures;
Wed 27th Apr – Home vs. Tockwith
Sat 30th Apr – Home vs. Pocklington Town
Sat 7th May – Home vs. York St John

Date TBC – League Senior Cup Semi-Final – Away vs. Riccall United.

click here for full photo slide-show

Saturday 23rd April 2016
York Minster Engineering Football League – Reserve ‘C’
FT: Cliffe FC Reserves 3 – 2 Rufforth United Reserves

Cliffe FC Reserves make it five league wins on the bounce with a 3-2 win against Rufforth, a great win. Whilst technically a home game for Cliffe, the game was played at Rufforth. Cliffe found themselves three goals to the good as the game developed, Glynn Richardson scoring twice and then Joe White made it 3-0. Much like the opposite experience of Cliffe first team on Wednesday (report below), Rufforth clawed their way back into the game and made it 3-2 with time remaining, and once again Dave Hebson – Cliffe FC Reserves Manager playing as goalkeeper cover – had to make a match-winning save and the match finished 3-2.

Once again, another league win for Hebson’s men, a superb show of what they’re capable of as they will look to mount a real title challenge next season in Reserve C. The Cliffe FC Reserves season comes to a close this coming midweek, Monday they “host” Malt Shovel Reserves and Wednesday end the season at Selby Olympia Reserves – surely, Hebson’s men will be looking for maximum points.

Sunday 24th April 2016
YSML Football League – Division Two – “Double-header”
Game 1: FT: Cliffe FC Sunday 3 – 2 York Medics
Game 2: FT: York Medics 4 – 1 Cliffe FC Sunday

Cliffe FC Sunday travelled to York Medics in another league double-header. Game 1 eventually went the way of Cliffe FC, having gone into the half-time interval 1-0 down – Tom Collins equalised from outside the box before Dan Richardson’s close range bullet header made it 2-1, Medics made it 2-2 shortly after, Nathan Parker sealed the first three points with a goal late on for 3-2 FT.

Game 2 saw Medics look the fitter side, clearly the amount of football the Cliffe players have been playing in recent weeks for Saturday and Sunday sides, as well as the ninth-annual Teamwork FC Sportsmans Dinner taking it’s toll on the tired legs which saw Medics lead 1-0 at HT, and then 3-0 after the break – Matty Clark having to make a penalty kick save to keep the score at 1-0 before HT. Nathan Parker scored again to make it 3-1, but Medics stopped any chance of a comeback with another goal to win the second game 4-1.

Wednesday 20th April 2016
York Minster Engineering Football League – Division One
HT: 0-0
FT: Cliffe FC 2 – 3 Poppleton United

Cliffe FC improve massively on their previous meeting with Poppleton, a narrow 3-2 defeat which saw Cliffe run Poppleton very close and maybe deserved at least a point.

Cliffe FC 2 - 3 Poppleton Utd 20Apr16

It was a goalless first half, which saw Cliffe limit Poppleton and stiffle their biggest threat, Jackson Lucitt doing a superb job in a supporting midfield role. 0-0 at half-time.
Failing to switch on for the second half quick enough saw Poppleton score immediately from kick-off to make it 1-0, and another slack pair of goals from Cliffe’s point-of-view saw Poppleton build up a 3-0 lead. Cliffe had a penalty shout turned down, and Kev Taylor had the ball in the net but dissallowed due to location of the quick free-kick from a backpass. Late on, Jamie England scored at the back post from a Darren Jackson corner, for 1-3 and then Shane Horner scored from the right wing to make it 2-3 with injury time remaining – time ran out for Cliffe and Poppleton took all the points, 2-3 FT.

As previously mentioned, a much better performance and result against a Poppleton side that scored a dozen goals in the return fixture – Jamie Cook earned himself man-of-the-match for a confident and competent display in the heart of the Cliffe defence.

click here for full photo slide-show

Cliffe FC

Whilst under the guise of "Bruce" my actual name is Malcolm Bryce and I am the Media Manager of Cliffe FC.